Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

In which we discuss the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and ultimately Hank Williams



8/30


Stephen and I are still pondering last night’s film, Roadmap to Apartheid. (http://roadmaptoapartheid.org/) Leaving aside the fact that the film is obviously has an agenda, it makes it’s case well. When you see the actual amount of space now cordoned off, the actual lines of the wall of separation, it raises serious questions about whether a two state is even possible anymore.  And that ultimately Israel will need to decide whether it is a Jewish state or  democratic state. Being both will not be possible under current realities. We also know that to say this is to say something virtually unspeakable in the current  American political reality. Not to mention an ecumenical or interfaith setting. But it’s a dialogue that must take place.
Simply showing the film to those already convinced informs and educates but doesn’t move the issue forward. Could we create an environment where our closest friends could feel safe to discuss this? Analytically? Critically? That’s the question. We need to get those who worked together on this to do a critical review and see what we could do next. 
I share the story with Stephen as to how shortly after the Iraq war began, we had Jeff Halper of the Israeli Anti House Demolition Coalition here to West-Park to speak. (http://www.icahd.org/) How do we get Americans to deal with the consequences of our aid? Or denominations...and individuals...to deal with the consequences of our investments in companies like caterpillar? How hard that has been for us Presbyterians (http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2012/0706/Presbyterians-reject-call-to-divest-over-Israel-s-West-Bank-occupation)
                                                * * * * 
RL’s crew scrambling to get ready for tonight’s Open Mic. 
I join Jamie for mussels at the  B. Then come on over. Our largest turnout yet.  A new young African-
Piano Dan Jessie and Katie Rowell
American singer named Avery. Katie doing the jazz standards with Piano Dan who does his own Mack the Knife. All the regulars. After Dion does his weekly comedy set, it’s my turn.
I do two originals. Then Pat joins me. I take a deep breath. And sing Hank Williams’ So Lonesome I Could Cry. Like I said to my old friend Jack this afternoon, one of the greatest all time American songs. It’s lyrics tight, compact,evocative, damn near perfect. Felt humbling, but good, to give it a try. (Thanks Pat)
                                                             Hank Sr.
Thanks Pat
Hear the lonesome whippoorwill
He sounds too blue to fly
The midnight train is whining low
I'm so lonesome I could cry

Ive never seen a night so long
When time goes crawling by
The moon just went behind a cloud
To hide it's face and cry

Did you ever see a robin weep
When leaves begin to die
That means he's lost the will to live
I'm so lonesome I could cry

The silence of a falling star
Lights up a purple sky
And as I wonder where you are
I'm so lonesome I could cry

Bobby T plays some originals backed by Tim with his looping garciaesque licks. And then the jam begins....
Bobby T and Tim

Later I realize that this Friday night session is becoming a community. A congregation of sorts. With a different kind of worship. But caring, supportive, nurturing growth and exploration. Yeah, why we’re here. (Thanks RL...)

No comments:

Post a Comment