Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Just big enough for a small sukkah


5/4
Jamie’s there as professional presence as I meet a real estate agent and a group from a new Orthodox synagogue. They have come in force, rabbi, board members...feels like a serious visit. The rabbi is amused when I tell him that the backyard is just large enough for a small sukkah. The minister says it's just big enough for a small sukkah, he says to his President. How could he know that my father designed one for our hosue back in Pittsburgh? Helped us build it? And that we brought it with us to New York where it became the beginning  of the sukkah at our apartment building? 

(We actually wind up talking about Pittsburgh. Someone had family there. Not from the Jewish walk-around neighborhood Squirrel Hill, where Andrea always wanted to live, but inner circle suburb Monroeville, where George Romero set the second fim in his zombie trilogy, Dawn of the Dead....)
Just before  the group arrived, there was a sketchy young white guy in the south door with a Help me homeless artist sign. You can’t be here, I tell him, especially with that sign. And he scowls. There’s cardboard all over the place. Teddy immediately jumps in to clear things up, but it’s enough to start me off defensive and on my way to being depressed. The condition of the building is starting to wear on me.  And for the frist time in a long time, I feel apologetic leading the tour.  All they are seeing is what could be, not what has been or even is.  And I don’t take them to the floors with the Occupiers. 
Would anyone even care that the lights Melisa brought in came from Cafe Wha? That they once shone down on Dylan? Or Jimi Hendrix? 
Teddy and Dave are discussing the ongoing exit plan. 
Raven has decided not to wait any longer, even though he has no place to go, and is gone before afternoon.
Tia has come in with the bag with my dissertation I left last week. 
The boys from St. Agnes are in for thier final afternoon of volunteer service for the week. Antonio is asleep in the pews again. Runi has fallen into a Catch-22 with the rental car (been there) and the planned road trip with Chris and Reuiem and Rose is not going to happen. At least not today. This of course has cast Runi into consternation. 
About this time, Wesley comes storming in. If you see Antonia, and I know she’s in here...
Wesley, she’s not here...
tell that bitch...
Wesley, I have no idea where she is, she isn’t here...
we’re through. And that guy she cheated on me with....and that $1800 on my credit card she stole....she knows what’s comin'....
Wesley...
She knows what’s conin’. And if you want to know, check the news...Rivesride and 89th Street, Thursday...check it out...that's what's comin'....
Wesley...
That’s it. I’m done...we’re through...I’m outta here....
Wesley....
And he’s gone.  I do a quick google. Can't find any Riverside and 89th crime story.

The lights here. They shone on Dylan. And Jimi Hendrix.....

No comments:

Post a Comment