Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Not during the day

7/5
Empty soft drink container.  Random paper bags. A New York Mets sweatshirt and a stack of catalogues from a nearby paper box. And human being asleep on the steps.  Barefoot, empty beer bottle at his head, half smoked cigarillo stubs nearby.  I touch his shoulder gently. Excuse me sir, you can’t sleep here during the day.                                                                                                                                              


All right, all right. (No movement.)                                                                                                               


Uh, you can’t sleep here during the day.                                                                                                    


All right, all right. (No movement) I don’t need you standin’ there over topa me.                                              


You’re welcome to be here at night, just can’t sleep here during the day. You don’t seem to want to follow the rules.
I go in to empty the dehumidifier. Then go to call Project Reachout. Don’t have my cell phone. Have to use the land line, dial information. They get me the number. But when I dial it, it’s a fax number. Go through the process again. Same thing. 
As I’m heading home, he’s still there. Not moving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment