Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Pack up your sorrows




5/1

Virgin and child by Angelo
On West-Park sanctuary wall


May Day. Too much unsettled. No march for me today.

Stephen and Martin and I go for lunch and conversation. Together something  that looks like a plan emerges. It only requires one minor miracle or two to work. But it’s possible.

Moses parts the waters by Angelo on West-Park sanctuary wall
Just as I’m wondering how to get a message to Angelo, out of nowhere he appears with  woman he says es una mujer muy importante. I don’t catch her name, but she seems to be with the library system. I have to say to Angelo, because of the speed of his speech and his madrileno accent, un poco mas despacio,por favor. Hugo arrives and I introduce them and a conversation about Nicaragua begins. Then Angelo proceeds to hang more paintings. I tell him this makes me happy and that I want the empty spaces filled in. And that I need more light for his paintings. Pero luz cuesta mucho, he says. Mas mejor a donar los pobres. (Light costs much. Better to give the money to the poor.)

I’ve been waiting for this conversation with Hugo for some time now. I trust his analysis of the situation. A former revolutionary and diplomat. And now a housing manager. At his new complex in the Bronx, he’s aware of all the unexpected surprises that push costs up in renovation/reconstruction. 

He cares very much for the congregation. And for me. At what cost a vision? Some have been worn out by the process. You can go on if you see a future, but what is the future? The current snagged negotiations are draining. Most important, we agree, is the community, the sense of being one body. Without that, nothing else matters. Nothing else is possible. We need to speak with each individual and then have a group conversation.
                                                Ethel plays music of the sun


The afternoon continues with the strange, soothing disturbing sounds of Ethel coming from the balcony where they are rehearsing. They love the space. We need to see how to draw them in closer. 

While Ethel is rehearsing, Ted is giving another theater group a tour of the space. There’s no end of interest:  just give me a plan.

As Ethel finishes, a young woman opera singer asks if she can come in and warm up her voice. And soon her voice is filling the sanctuary.

I go down to Marc’s workshop to pick up one of my two guitars.The classical one the reprobate Brazilian minister left at Rachel’s. With the electric pick up. Marc’s craftsmanship  has made them whole again. I need to just play a little.


Anna pops in  several times. She’s concerned about Rachelle’s court appearance regarding her eviction. And has ideas to help. Despite their differences, in the end, Anna is always compassionate. And ready to find solutions.

                                          Richard and Mimi Farina Pack Up Your Sorrows


RL drops in and somehow we find ourselves in a conversation about Richard Farina. Was it the title of his book, Been down so long it looks like up to me? Joan Baez’ brother in law. Married to Mimi. Died in a motorcycle accident the day of his book release party. RL begins If someday you could pack up your sorrows and I respond, ....and give them all to me, you will lose them, I know how to use them,  give them all to me...And RL smiles. And our lingering mental health intervention problem remains unresolved. RL’s consulting his lawyer for me.

Jane drops on right before her counseling appointment, but there’s no time to talk.

As it gets later, two blonds from Milwaukee walk in. They’re here on vacation. The go out to eat and whatever neighborhood they’re in bring the leftovers. Someone told them to come here. Of course. I tell them the Sergeant and his crew will be here soon . Just wait. And they do.


No comments:

Post a Comment