Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Living in coronavirusworld 214: Another night

 11/24


may it be so...





on the way

I need a Thanksgiving haircut. And beard trim. So I head across town to my favorite shop.  My favorite barber is undegoing surgery and is unavailable. So I choose another. He trims my hair. Same with my goatee. In a normal November I would be doing the Movember event…not shaving for a month or growing only a mustache for a month to raise awareness (and funds)  for prostate and testicular cancer. I am continuing my beard as a form of marking coronavirustime. 


East Side windows
East Side Windows

 It's been  months.  As we talk, my barber tells me that their business is down by about 50%. They’re worried that they will be shut down again.  He gives me his card in case I want to arrange an “outcall” haircut in a hallway or other venue. They’ve gone as far as the Hamptons out in Long Island to cut hair for their patrons. Much like the driveway hair cut my sister arranged for my mom at her suburban New Jersey house.  


East Side Windows
Its the season

On the way home, I notice the various  messages in the windows  of the East Side. And yet more Christmas decorations. 


Mike Geffner once again hosts his“world”open mic drawing artists from across the country. After 30 years as a journalist, Mike has become the premiere impresario of open mics in the city hosting events across the boroughs The quality of performance  is very high, the most diverse I know including both musicians and spoken word artists. I’m excited to find longtime West Park improv artist  Joel Gold on the lineup  for the night. And honored when Mike invites me to headline his first "virtual" showcase event in January. We play our songs, recite our poems and encourage each other throughout another night. Mike closes with another mini tutorial on marketing. And we have survived  another night in coronavirusworld.

No comments:

Post a Comment