Pages

Monday, November 16, 2020

Living in coronavirusworld 207: Another week done


11/12



fall on 87th street






street advice

My friend Rachel’s son in law called to tell me that now would be a good time to say goodbye. She has not eaten in a week. And wants to let go. She’s just past her 99th birthday. Last year he daughter lost her long running battle with bipolar and depression. It was especially hard because Rachel had lost her capacity to produce tears. I’ve been wanting to see her but have been held back because of Covid. Complicated by the fact that her aide told me she hadn’t told her about the virus because of not wanting to upset her. SO she didn’t understand why I hadn’t come to see her. Now at this point that’s all but moot. 


I talk with her about our times together.  The stories she told me. Her life. And loves. Passionate fiery marriage to a Russian dancer. Her work as a nurse. Running the ER at a tough urban hospital. Visiting her was always a respite. She had long since quit smoking but once she hit 90, she figured what the hell?  So it was custom Nat Sherman’s from her tobacconist and a shot of single malt scotch. For several years, I came by to watch the Westminster Kennel Club dog show from Madison Square Garden. Surrounded by her twin pugs and a variety of cats. Her presence meant a lot to me. We share prayers. She takes a deep sigh. And I wonder.   But she breathes again. Not ready yet.


Go to visit my mom at her physical rehab facility. We meet separated by a wall of glass. Speaking on telephones. With an attendant to oversee. Fifteen minutes max. Once a week.  This is exactly what you do at a state prison. It goes so fast.  Covid 19 has turned our elderly into inmates. No one seems to be reckoning the pyschic cost to thee life saving protocols.


I think of Rachel..And my mom. And think about my own end. Where will it be? When? Who will be there? Living in corona virus word has brought me face to face with my own mortality, 


My sister and I go to a restaurant for a socially distant dinner. Because of the spike, Thanksgiving is problematic the year.  No big extended family gathering. She’s relieved that my core has already made plans.  And so it is. 


and vote we did


11/13


A cold wet uninviting day. Stay close to home except  for meeting a friend for a late afternoon drink. 


The Friday night gang gathers and helps each other mark yet one more week. And a Friday the 13th at that. 


The President is refusing to concede. He’s replaced the whole top echelon of the Department of Defense with his loyalists. This is ominous. 


Another week done. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment