Pages

Friday, November 27, 2020

Living in coronavirusword 216: Thanksgiving

 

11/26


First trees




Thanksgiving.


I enjoy cooking. Especially for a family shared meal. This morning , I’m doing a homemade sweet potato pie, starting from raw potatoes.  And I’m also making my own guacamole. 


Under normal circumstances, there’s that phrase again, I would have headed to my sister’s in the Trenton suburbs  for a dinner with her family and my mom and in many years, my New York boys. But not this year.  It will just be my core four, me, my boys and their mom. I’m happy that she’s invited us to make a day of it, starting with pancakes and ending with dinner. 


This would also be a day for football. But at least 9 of the Steelers’ arch rivals Ravens are positive for Covid, including the quarterback, so the game is postponed until Sunday.That’s a disappointment. 


It’s a weird year with most of the country observing strict protocols to avoid Covid and millions of others running around like hey, why not?  That vaccine can’t come soon enough. This country is unable to control it any other way. 


In a normal year, my neighbor church First Corinthian would be hosting a sit down dinner for any neighborhood hungry. But in coronavirusworld, volunteers are passing out bagged dinners. Turkey breast, rice and beans, stuffing, green beans, cranberry sauce and sweet potato pie. They are alway there when needed.


As we finish breakfast, we call my mom, quarantined and alone in her assisted living facility.  Each of us taking a turn.Our frail elderly are all but incarcerated.  I can imagine the pain of being alone in lockdown circumstances.


My boys have made macaroni and cheese. Their mom chicken thighs and breasts with Italian sausage and bacon, Brussel sprout salad, cranberry relish and apple crisp. And I brought wine, too. This was a true feast.  


Late in the day, ZOOM with extended family. Sitting at the far end of the table, it feels almost like a  tv show. 


It wasn’t usual. But it was what we needed it to be. Even in the coronavirusworld, there is much to be thankful for.


On the way home, I see my first Christmas tree stand. 


No comments:

Post a Comment