Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2020

Living in coronavirusworld 211: Stay strong

 11/19





fall



first tree

On my late afternoon walk I see my first public Christmas tree on a floating platform in the Harlem Meer. Later, when I walk into my neighborhood bar, the bartender puts my new release on the sound system. One of life’s small joys. The  bonus is when Spotify follows me up with Dylan. (https://open.spotify.com/album/1lRaxaO1wvyNPcfiXyJVFF)


The  Center at West Park has finally put together a virtual series of performances knowing the virus isn’t going away anytime soon. And we’ve got to replace the whole scaffolding damaged by the wind Sunday night. We have  managed to hang on so far but what happens next is very much up in the air. 


A special virtual performance of Uncle Vanya starring Alan Cumming and Ellen Burstyn and an all star cast is the probably the highest level of actors I’ve seen yet in the ZOOM theatre mode. Almost felt like I did back at the beginning when I set out with upbeat determination to make the most of this situation. That  began to wear out after about four months. 


11/20


not this  year

My mother has been released from her rehab facility and allowed to return to her assisted care facility. Now with the spike, she must be quarantined for two weeks.  That is going to be very hard. Being trapped in her room for Thanksgiving especially. There is true cruelty to what this virus does to our elderly people. All we can do is hope that the vaccine is real and comes out soon.


courage

My rabbi friend and I meet for coffee. The President’s barrage of lawsuits and strong arming of state officials to revise votes, throw out ballots, etc. is past alarming. They are now pushing a conspiracy narrative centered on a cyber plot hatched by Venezuela (??!!) in cooperation with Cuba and “probably” China. This is of course insane. But the problem is millions of people believe it. It will take courage for Republican state officials to withstand this onslaught. January 20 can’t come too soon. My friend also is concerned about can we trust the vaccine? Why are ours ready before European or Asian vaccines? The one between realize and science fiction get ever harder to draw. And even knowing who you can trust is worrisome. Hope is necessary.


In the face of this new spike, New York City is closing the schools again. And leaving the bars open. Which makes no sense. School kids are the least likely to get infected. So it is. Making it up as we go along. 


outside

It’s a warm day. Sunny and 65. One of a diminishing number of days to enjoy outdoor time with friends. 


Finish the day by hosting my weekly gathering of Open Mic friends. If any of my international (or even US) readers would ever like to perform in a virtual open mic, you can find the sign up information at https://www.facebook.com/WPNYCOpenMic. 


Such a strange contrast…the warm weather, warmth of friends and relentless anxiety. So it is in coronavirusworld. 

No comments:

Post a Comment