Pages

Monday, November 23, 2020

Liivng in coronavirusworld 212: approaching Thanksgiving

 11/21





on Central Park West





All throughout the neighborhood, on lampposts, windows, walls, are posters with a photo of a missing teen age girl. “Save our daughter/Black lives matter” the posters say. I can feel the sense of anguish. 


what we did in the past, we can't do now

Long line waiting to get in the grocery store. Pre-Thanksgiving shopping I’m sure. It will be a strange holiday. All the usual events I would go to are not happening. Most of my New York City friends staying close to home and not anting to have people  in their homes. Even true in families.  And yet….the news reports a high time of travel..apparently many willing to say “the hell with it” even as we hit record highs. 


My friends Hot Glue & The Gun have their Thanksgiving show. Even in Covid time it is important to give thanks. Their musical performance art has grown sharer during the pandemic, aa always commenting indirectly though clearly on what’s going on. Happy to hear them put on a piece of mine during the “pre-show.”


11/22


A raw day.  Haven’t done a 5K in awhile so decide to do the "New Orleans Saints virtual race.”  Imagining myself in New Orleans. Its familiar streets. Sounds, yes Lord, sounds. And smells. Only I’m doing a loop in upper Manhattan on the edge of Central Park. Not traveling  anywhere anytime soon except in my head.


a taste of Venezuela

The Monkey Cup owner knows I want a latte I settle in for my Sunday morning routine wit the Times. I love that they have created a little taste of Venezuela here in Harlem. 


yes,we are worthy of greatness

With three teachers in the family, the Sunday conversation is once again dominated by Covid related talk. No one really understands why schools close and bars stay open. The remote teaching is doing teachers in and none even feels it’s real. This goes on until someone realize that for eight months our talk is either Covid or Trump. So w talk about movies and shows we are watching. My oldest son and I  tracking the Steelers as they move towards 10-0. 


first Christmas lights

I make my way to Bar 9. Kind of cold and wet. See my first Christmas lights on a side street. The earlier curfew has pushed everything earlier, We’ve now got to be done by 7:30PM. I’m distracted and unfriendly. Too many things, no, too many people on my mind. So I miss people right in front of me. Can’t do that. Other people’s all that keeps us going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment