Pages

Monday, August 31, 2020

Living in Coronavirusworld 152: Open Hearts

8/29






Neighbors

The threat of rain hovers over the day but aside from a few raindrops early afternoon, never happens.

Go to the farmers’ market at Morningside Park. Fresh ground family farmed Colombian coffee.  But to drink a cup, you have to “Step outside of the market.” Because no unmasked people allowed. 

at the Lucerene
'"Hope"
Housing Justice is racial justice
community support
Housing justice
Black lives matter
'Homeless can't stay home"
Open Hearts organizers
Walking to the Lucerne Hotel to join’s rally in support of homeless residents of the hotel.  Fredrick Douglass at the entrance to the Historical Society’s “…Hope…” exhibit.  
Hope wanted

Fredrick Douglass
A crowd has gathered at get Lucerne. Chalked messages of support on the sidewalk. Signs linking Black Lives Matter and housing justice.The event has been organized by Open Hearts Upper West Side, an organic grassroots effort of supportive neighbors. My friend Larry Wood of Goddard-Riverside speaks of their efforts to create a day space for residents to hang out in an enclosed patio of a currently unused, due to covid19,  Senior Center. 
Larry Wood speaks


When Larry rejoins me, a man comes over and begins to argue  with him about people destroying the neighborhood. Crazy people. Drug addicts. Larry reponds and also talks about the need for safe needle exchange sites. The man says, “Are you a radical Jew?” Larry looks at him in disbelief. “Are you. Jew?” Larry says, “Actually Episcopalian.” I step back, not wanting any part of the conversation. The man recognizes me and talks about “Twenty people shooting up” at West Park. I tell him “I haven’t seen that,” then see two people I recognize and excuse myself. Larry continues the conversation. 

My friends are long time neighborhood residents. They tell me in this virus world, they basically stay home except for grocery store trips and walks to the park. They saw a crowd and assumed it was “NIMBYs,” i.e. “Not in my backyard” They were moved to see it was a neighborhood support group.  I see my friend Pastor K from the church where we served meals  to the women’s shelter once a month. In BC time. K tells me most that most of his people are supportive. They are looking to join another church in supporting the hotel around the block from them. Just up the street from West Park. 

a resident speaks
Several resident speak, telling their stories. One lost his apartment wen the city ended its rent subsidy program. In the city’s upside down policy, it  pays over 3 times the cost of his subsidy to keep him on one bed in a shelter instead an apartment.  Another speaks of his recovery from addiction. Another his desire to get a job and  be back on his own.  My friend Marc Greenberg of the Interfaith Assembly on Homelessness and  Housing is here  to promote programs to assist people in reentering society. Which the Assembly has done, year after year.  Some people are getting ready to distribute baga of food to those who might be in need. 

Pastor K and Marc
Rabbi Steve comes from across the street where people from “the anti-side” are filming the rally with their cell phones. We talk with K and Marc.  
Rabbi Steve and I 


He offers to treat  me to a gelato. We go around the corner, enjoying the vibe of the outdoor cafes, sparkling lights in the early evening cool. I share my worry that when I watch Fox News, I realize the depth of the President’s support and fear his reelection. 


There are violent confrontations in Kenosha and Portland. 66 days to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment