Pages

Monday, August 10, 2020

Living in coronavirusworld 133: the days between





8/6

always


Today is the 75th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima. Late in the afternoon, the Peoples Music Network will mark the day, finishing with Fred Small singing his Cranes over Hiroshima. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI0b3sN0CcY).   My friend  Liana has also written a new song, After the Bomb. (https://lianaband.bandcamp.com/track/after-the-bomb?fbclid=IwAR2dFwG5ZTr2BU894RorMqudZtlJfztx0nmVrMTrR7q4f-xQ1IaPz1ct4RA)

I go to the church to pick up check, Run into my friend, Martin, executive director of  Noche Flamenca. (https://www.soledadbarrioandnocheflamenca.com/).  Martin like all of us is fed up and tired of the craziness.  He’s thinking about just going  to an isolated part of Spain for six months.  I take a slow walk home. 

I spend most of the day gets ready for my concert, the Days Between.  
The Days Between 
Here was my invitation:

Hello friends... it's been a good summer of live streaming concerts in my Lockdown Showcase series ...and the Grateful Distancing Stay at Home Tour 2020. I'm excited to announce a very special event "The Days Between" Thursday night, August 6th at 7PM celebrating the life and music of Jerry Garcia marking the "days between" his 78th birthday and 25th anniversary of his death live on ZOOM and Facebook Livestream. I've assembled a great collection of artists from across the musical spectrum to share their unique interpretations of his diverse catalogue, so much more than the Grateful Dead.

The lineup so far:

Paul Anthony, song writer, player, rocker
Curtis Becraft, mandolin player extraordinaire from Curtis and Carla
Steve Blane, recording artist and songwriter
Jed Distler, new music  classical composer of Composers Collaborartive
Robert C. Ford, Wall $treet Poet and Composers Concordance "Laureate"
Dan Hanczar, Major Morgan, Pittsburgh, Pa. 
Mike Handelman, blues master and "Home/Away" lead guitar and all around performer
Carrie Klein and Joel McGlynn of Hot Glue and the Gun
Nick Lantigua,banjo master
Kristen Leigh , songwriter live from North Carolina
Jeremy Mage of the Magi, Biel, Switzerland
Gene Pritsker of Composers Concordance and Sound Liberation
Esther Ready, of Echo (awaiting confirmation)
Liz "Violizzie" Taub, violinist of Bluestone 739, Moon Goddess and more...
Vince Tozzie  of "We Eat Monsters" 

I'm very happy to have performed with all but one of these artists and most have been part of Home (Away). 

Garcia...."Terrapin Station" Jeremy's song
Thats to Zoom, my musical mentor and friend, Jeremy Mage opens for us from Switzerland.  There are the usual ZOOM glitches, like when Jed Distler has reached the dramatic conclusion of his piano take on Dark Star and someone’s grandmother noisily enters the room. So it is. We cover a lot of territory for this diverse artist  who defied genres and just celebrated music. We end with Esther’s soulful “Amazing Grace” and my “I Bid you Goodnight.” At first I just  exhausted. But as I listen the recording, I realize it was a  good night with many good moments. My first one fo these special nights on ZOOM. 




No comments:

Post a Comment