Pages

Monday, August 3, 2020

Living in coronavirusworld 128: Take what you need, leave what you don't

8/1


window










The Park, as every weekend day, is filled with birthday parties and other family events. Unable to have guests in our homes, we have transferred all our social gatherings to out of doors, the parks our new living and dining rooms for guests and celebrations. 


We meet on steps in the shade. She has brought scones and cinnamon rolls from the Silver Moon bakery. I have been invited to preach in a church in Pittsburgh next weekend. After a lot of anxiety, for me my usual Greyhound bus trip is out of the question, I have all but decided not to go. But after we talk, I change my mind. Maybe the adventure of a coronavirusworld flight  is worth it. When I get home, I find an amazing last minute flight deal.  Okay. On my way to Pittsburgh.




take what you need....

On the way to the park, I saw my first Street Refrigerator. 

Street refrigerator
Where people can leave or take food. For free. Today it's filled with  fresh fruits and vegetables. Seems like in New York City it's a bit of a  a risky venture, but it seem seems to be working  and growing in popularity . 


My friend accordionist extraordinaire Bill Schimmel is hosting his annual accordion masterclass and concert series. He has played with everyone from Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra to Tom Waits and film (Scent of a woman) to  Broadway to one amazing year with me at West Park. Today’s concert includes indie artist Corn Mo. And my friend,  the ‘Emergency Accordion” player Paul Stein.  Paul plays the Eric Garner piece he played in our  “..Resistance..”  Lockdown Showcase.


Welcome back to the Gate

After four and a half months, the Gate opens up again this  afternoon. I head there to meet friends. For the past several weeks, Dion and David have been on the work crew transforming the place. Owner Paul has been without income since March 15 and we haven’t met there since the 13th. It’s been a long time. The place sparkles, festive and inviting. The sun  is bright and hot but the umbrellas provide shade and a breeze comes in the cool of the evening. RL cannot sit on his corner barstool so we’ve got to find his a new outdoor space. (He has picked out a special chair.) It’s a slight taste of  normal to have a “small” of  Jameson’s and apint of Guiness. 


The National Hockey League has started up again in two Canadian bubbles. Again, so strange to see the empty arena.  My heavily favored Pittsburgh Penguins loose to the Montreal Canadiens. I realize how much of a hockey game is enduring frustration, For hours. And maybe lose in the end. More a metaphor than an escape.  


...and still we die.....



No comments:

Post a Comment