Pages

Monday, August 17, 2020

Living in coronavirusworld 140: Harmony

8/16


Live music in a window





Sunday morning. Cool and wet. I go out to get the Sunday paper and read awhile.  At 11 I tune into the West Park streaming worship service, this week led by my friend Dion.  I am moved and impressed by his warm and personal style sharing  his own experiences and inviting others to share theirs on the scripture about how what comes out of your mouth is more important than what goes in. (Matthew 15: 10-28) Even more, I’m impressed by the  people from  Friday night’s open mic who have shown up to share at his invitation. This is something I should have done myself back when I was still pastor. Back in that other world. Bringing communities together to build community. I’m very proud of what they are doing.

This cold wet day is one for staying inside.  (As if we haven’t had enough of that.) I’ve got a music gig scheduled for later tonight that I can’t imagine will go on. I get an email and say “I’m game” and an hour or so later, I get the word, we’re on. 

When I arrive, there’s yet another configuration. The first try was rejected as an illegal use of sidewalk. The second was rejected for improper  street performance. (Hey, we kept our clothes on!). This last attempt now puts the performers inside playing to an audience outside.
It feels a bit like being in a live ZOOM window. Or like then brothels in Amsterdam, Hey sailor, want to hear a song? I’ve invited a friend to sing harmony. It looks like  there were two mics. But that was that duo’s own equipment. The host is reluctant at first, but after speaking with management relaxes and its okay.  I’m still surprised at how nervous I am in front of real live people. The dropped chord here , forgotten lyric there. And in a moment of panic, can’t remember hw to start a song that went over so well the last time. I had a careful selected and well rehearsed set. It’s all about returning to real life. I am able to recover with little notice. My friend joins me. And she sings with me in harmony! The first time in over 5 months to sing with another voice!  It feels so good.  One verse of my song goes “ You are on my mind at home while I’m playing my guitar. Kind of brings you close but how far away you are. They ask me what I miss the most, what isn’t there for me, to hear your voice  beside  me and to sing in harmony…” And we did. 
At last .....harmony.                              

      
When I finish, I remove the individual mic cover, the mic condom as it were, for safe song. 

We talk.  It still feels so odd.  Like you could walk around the corner and open a door and go through and the other BC world would still be there, having gone on as usual for the last five months.  An alternate reality where that world still exists.  Like in “Man in the High Castle,” like that.  Buy here we are. In this world. And there is harmony, once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment