Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Epiphany: where is the light?


1/6
Boxer Mike steps in front of me on the corner of 87th. Please, I’m begging you, just gimme a room where I can put up a bag and work out. Help the kids. Come in from the cold. Just gimme a little room..
Mike, all you have to do is write up a proposal and let us talk about it...
He looks at me intently. I told that chick, man, I told her. I can’t read or write. I’m workin’ on it. But I can’t do it...I can’t...
Whoa man, I didn’t know that. I never knew. Let me see what I can do about that. Come in Monday, when Danielle is back.  OK?
I’m tryin to stay outta trouble, ok? I don’t mess with people, I do a little hustlin, drink a little wine, but I don’t cause trouble, ok? Just need a little room....
Got it, Mike. Come see me.
Long talks with Jason about many ideas. Rosario Dawson is ready to give $2000 to fix the showers. He wants to try and connect with the community. Maybe set up a neighborhood General Assembly. Host some dinners, some conversations. I try to explain about the IAF model and that some of our congregations are in to it. Organization of organizations, that's IAF...there are many similarities, every voice counts, there are  even assemblies. But IAF meetings take an hour and  a quarter. Period.  I suggest that the concensus model of #ows may not work for people who are holding down jobs. It’s consuming.
There is a woman  with two four year old twins in the building. She’s come from Occupy Chicago. Problems at home. Dan seems to be trying to take her under his wing. She’s built a home in my old office. She can’t stay there. This is no place for two four year olds.


Someone has left two plates of fresh baked cookies on the steps. Look a bit like hamentaschen, a bit out of season. I take two, give the rest to Jason. Who shares them with the guest he’s talking to. And the mother.


I take a break to go visit Jack. When I come back, Matthew is here to see me. His mom works at my mom's church back home. He's come here from West Virginia, graduated from the WVU theatre department. Living in Astoria. Has already been in one play and has had his own musical accepted for a festival. Needs a place to rehearse. I show him all our spaces and he's excited. Nice to make another connection from back home. 
It’s Epiphany. Where is the light? Time to meet Andrea and Dan for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment