Pages

Friday, July 31, 2020

Living in coronavirusworld 126: we count all our victories

7/30






surveying the pond


In Coronavirustime, we count all our victories.

Today I submitted for reimbursement for consulting work that will brig me some $3K  dollars in this tight time. 
I get to pick my new progressive glasses, which I haven’t had for at least 3 years.
I ordered a small airconditioner via Amazon which may actually come. ( I discovered to my disappointment that the one I ordered 5 week ago turns out to be Hong Kong based. I don’t have much hope on that except possible PayPal reimbursement.)

man down
That’s a good day. And on my way back from getting my glasses, I saw a man down on the street. A circle of people standing around.  I take a few steps then return. Has anybody called 911?   Blank stares. I call 911, want for the FDNY ambulance to  show up and lay the man in.  I'm guessing a combination of alocohol and heat.  Then I can continue my journey to the Park where the birds are out in force and then home. 

One of my West Park Open Mic friends has invited me to a Yale (virtual) Cabaret which he hosts. Turns out to be mainly a gathering of  friends from the class of ’70.  One wearing his Yale hat. As I check in, one is remembering standing behind William Sloane Coffin, Jr. in the Battel Chapel Choir. My life crossed paths with Bill Coffin’s on number of significant occasions. He even offered me a job one time.  I’ve been with him in New Haven, NewYork City, Tulsa, Pittsburgh and Managua. But those are all their  own stories. I will only here remember how he grabbed a special flight  back form Florida where he was speaking so he could join the Yale Chorus for Beethoven’s 9th at Carnegie Hall.  A circle of friends drove down together for the performance. One of  my chorus friends was truly taken aback when Bill described Beethoven’s 9th like watching  Seaver on the mound.  He was an important witness for justice and peace. And he lived large.

They were all at Yale in heady days. One remembers playing “C’mon people now, smile on your brother..” To national guardsmen patrolling New Haven. These were days of urban riots and bank robberies by the Black Liberation Army. (One trial of which I was involved in as a paralegal.) Garry Trudeau was in that class as well as most of the cast of characters of Doonesbury. Meryl Streep would be in my (later) class.  Some here have been well known musicians. Led good professional lives. Dealing with bodies that break down, hearts and kidneys and partners with Alzheimers. So it is at our age. There are spoken word pieces, actual poems and songs, beloved covers and some fine originals. I do one of each.  For a few hours I remembered what it was like being in New Haven in the wake of urban uprising and the waning days of the Vietnam War. 

Where we are now seems every bit as significant. And much more frightening. 

Outside, my neighbor is playing Teddy Pendergast and Eddie is remembering being an r&b crooner. And showing us. Music seems to sneak us past mortality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment