Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Living in Coronavirusworld 122: Good trouble, necessary trouble

7/26

African dance class


West Park is working with lay led services. This Sunday Russ is leading. He’s asked me to play. He’s put together a beautiful tribute to John Lewis from his history as a young Freedom Rider to his elder statesman role as the conscience of congress. Russ reminds us of the quote by Lewis: I want to see young people in America feel the spirit of the 1960s and find a way to get in the way. To find a way to get in trouble. Good trouble, necessary trouble.  It was part of Dr. King’s strategy to have his marchers dressed in their Sunday best. White shirts and ties. The picture of John Lewis, head cracked open, blood streaming down his face onto his white shirt was one of those iconic photos that helped turn the tide of pubic opinion against segregation and towards passage of the Civil Rights Act.  Much as the video of the brutal murder of George Floyd has galvanized our country in its awareness of police brutality. 

Russ’ reflection focuses on the  mustard seed (Matthew 13: 24ff.) and accompanying parables. We share about our transformational moments. I recall sitting at home as 14 year old hearing Dr.King speak from Washington, DC. How the words thrilled through me. Stirred my heart.  And I felt I had to make a commitment to do my part. That was 47 yeas ago. 

Russ has asked me to sing “Blowin’ in the Wind.” I recall hearing it sung by Peter, Paul and Mary. My pastor quoting the song in connection with the Holy Spirit and the Spirit of the Times. I winced as he spoke of Bob DYElan. When I first heard Dylan sing his own song, it was raw and pure as nothing I’d heard before. So I sing his song. Simple, And at the end add my part about reflecting on the Parkland students protesting after their school massacre and how somehow maybe “blown’ in the wind” is not enough. Maybe we have to believe and act as if the answer is in our own hands.

Russ ends the service by reminding us to look for the right kind of trouble, good trouble, necessary trouble.

The unrelenting heat continues. I meet  my friend at the Morningside Pond.  I tell her what I watch for there on a daily basis. We hear a steady beat of drums and see an African dance class underway.                    
We’ll walk over to Fredrick Douglass to the Harlem Tavern with its large umbrellas and ample shade. Time for cold drinks and appetizers.  And in the back of my mind, good trouble,  necessary trouble.                                                                                                                    





e

No comments:

Post a Comment