Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Living in coronavirusworld 108: a very lucky man and a way of life


7/10

...a pot is on the stove...


The big new of the day is ..my test results are back. I review them with my doctor. A definite negative for Covid.  And an equally definite positive for antibodies. Which means I had and recovered from Covid without knowing it. There were two times I can look back at as maybes, but the medical crisis was so heavy, there was no point in  calling my doctor  short of emergency level issues.  My doctor tells me I’m a very lucky man, with all my “high risk target” factors.  While I’m probably immune, nothing is for certain. I’ll still keep safe. 

All day rain cancels my chance at a cockroach bomb as I’d have to be out of the apartment for hours. A friend has said at the end of the day, all that will be  left will be cockroaches and viruses, they adapt.  I finally see an opening to take a walk. But the wind is high and before its over the rain starts again and I am soaked. 

I decide to start a pot of chili. Always cheers me. This will be Cincinnati style with a tad of cinnamon. 

A friend has a lead role in an evening of one act adult comedies by Fred Stoppel who turns out one acts like others do  songs. It’s great  see her doing well what she loves and clearly the collective cast shares a sense of community.

We both end up at the West Park (virtual) Open Mic which has become its own alternative community. Sharing songs and talk…..I’m not so into originals or politics tonight. I kind of lean into a Dead mode…Ripple, Sugaree, Rider…and of course we  finish, as usual with RL Haney’s Stay Awhile…

By 10:30, the chili is done. Deep, rich and dark. And hot with Chimayo rojo chili, from the high desert of New Mexico.  I make a plate, over spaghetti of course. The first time I experienced that at Ike’s Chili Parlor in Tulsa, it seemed, well, just plain wrong. Let’s say I came to understand it.  It will be even better tomorrow.

Once in the mountains of Vermont, I encountered a place run by ex-pat Texans who had discovered the secret of high mountain chili and started their own farm. The place included a shop and chili bar.  There was a sign that said, Chili is not a spice, it is a way life…..

No comments:

Post a Comment