Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Livingincoronavirusworld 84: Bloomsday


6/16


...and sides of buildings...

Our Presbyterian Church (USA) Central America Task Force, whose report after  two yeast of work have been postponed for another two years by Virus and its fact on our churches General Assembly, and the Virus has tuned everything upside down anyways, met in ZOOM to bid farewell to our staff person Chris. He has decided to move on. We’ve worked  together for 40 years now. Yet another loss. He has been a faithful and creative survivor in a system that does its best to soften all edges and sand things down. Friendship remains.

An extended conversation with my friend Steve who has persuaded me in the midst of crazy time, to speak to a national gathering of health care professionals for a continuing education Covid19 update program on Saturday. I’m to bring a perspective on “faith, hope and joy” all of which I can use a little more of myself. Maybe preparing the presentation will pick me up a little as I try to figure out what I believe even when I’m not sure I do. AllI do know is that in 44 years of ministry, I’ve always respected my health  care colleagues as members of the same team, their hand and minds divine gifts however you want to define that. 

bar sign
stairs
Simon and Garfunkel said “the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls.” Today, we find the everywhere. Sidewalks, stairs,
sidewalk prophet

bar signs, sides of buildings. “…the very stones would cry out…,” Jesus said. 

waterfowl
musicians have returned
toes in te water at maxwell's
it's pride month
I walk through the Central Park today. See what waterfowl are hanging out. Musicians have returned. A few more toes I the water.  I stop at Maxwell’s for a watermelon margarita and phone  call to my mom. More than a few toes in the water here. 

Virus or not, it’s “Bloomsday,” the day Leopold Bloom takes his long walk around James Joyce’s Dublin.  I turn to the Irish Repertory Theater’s Yes!Reflections of Molly Bloom written and  performed by Aedin Molloney as she embodies the final chapter of the book, the one part I know well haven see it several times at Symphony Space at the end of their annual marathon. Once having taken my oldest son Micah. Even over ZOOM, Molloney manages to transfix me and makes me ponder how Joyce sou have ever written those magnificent words and created such a full woman. Later, I see Stephen Colbert read the opening chapter, set in  Joyce’s Sandycove Martello tower on the edge of the 40 Foot promontory. And I remember visiting there with my  family. It comes alive with Joyce’s words and I am there again smelling the Irish Sea and pondering what it would be like to live in a tower. And pondering what he'd write about a walk around my city today. A bit of an escape as I sit in front of my computer in my home. How we go on, how we go on. 

1 comment:

  1. dig the lyrical flow of the written word here. stones cry out indeed.

    ReplyDelete