Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Living in Coronavirusworld 83: Annoying, frustrating, maddening and ultimately necessary



6/15

Ducks on the pond


There is a “training session” to prepare everyone  for the first “ Presbyterian virtual General Assembly.” For the most part, it goes clean and smooth, just as its supposed to. Given, of course, all the anxieties and predictable snafus with people who have never used this platform before. I pay very close attention as  how to get recognized, make a motion, etc. As a veteran of every GA since 1978, a two time commissioner, once from Tulsa and once from Pittsburgh, author of multiple reports and long time strategist, I know this system as well as anyone can. Only this is new. And I’ve got an agenda beyond merely showing up. It’s important them to be able to try and crack open this tightly sealed Assembly to allow this group of commissioners to have its own voice speaking to the existential reality of the world around us as it is now. To be able to speak a prophetic word to our church and the broader society. To be able to be what this church has historically been.  And as much as this is a defining moment of our country, it is every bit as much a defining moment for the church. My anxiety is in figuring out what exactly I need today and when. Once I know that, I can begin seeking allies. But right now, what I feel is anxiety.

So I walk. Take time to notice that the egret is back.
Egret is back

Tim the trombonist
Contemplate the ducks on the pond. Walk up Morningside Drive behind the Cathedral.  Work my way backdown through the Park.  And then back to home. I find Tim the trombonist on my corner for once. Last name Perryman. Talking to passersby. Hustling. I google him. Find he’s bene here a few years. Had his trombone stolen. And replaced by a Police officer. The egret and the trombone player are markers of my day. 


W e begin our Bible Study with a video f Rev. Dr. Willam Barber (of the Poor Peoples’ Campaign) reading from the Message translation of the Bible (by Eugene Peterson) before his sermon at the National Cathedral. The passage is Amos 5:10-24 (https://youtu.be/dBAltpV20Zc. Start at 50:00.)

AMOS 5:10-24

10 People hate this kind of talk. 
Raw truth is never popular. 
11 But here it is, bluntly spoken: 
Because you run roughshod over the poor 
and take the bread right out of their mouths, 
You're never going to move into 
the luxury homes you have built. 
You're never going to drink wine 
from the expensive vineyards you've planted. 
12 I know precisely the extent of your violations, 
the enormity of your sins. Appalling! 
You bully right-living people, 
taking bribes right and left and kicking 
the poor when they're down. 
13 Justice is a lost cause. Evil is epidemic. 
Decent people throw up their hands. 
Protest and rebuke are useless, 
a waste of breath. 
14 Seek good and not evil – 
and live! 
You talk about God, the God-of-the-Angel-Armies, 
being your best friend. 
Well, live like it, 
and maybe it will happen. 
15 Hate evil and love good, 
then work it out in the public square. 
Maybe God, the God-of-the-Angel-Armies, 
will notice your remnant and be gracious. 
16 Now again, my Master's Message, God, God-of-the-Angel-Armies: 
"Go out into the streets and lament loudly! 
Fill the malls and shops with cries of doom! 
Weep loudly, 'Not me! Not us, Not now!' 
Empty offices, stores, factories, workplaces. 
Enlist everyone in the general lament. 
17 I want to hear it loud and clear when I make my visit." 
God's Decree. 

Time to Face Hard Reality, Not Fantasy 
18  Woe to all of you who want God's Judgment Day! 
Why would you want to see God, want him to come? 
When God comes, it will be bad news before it's good news, 
the worst of times, not the best of times. 
19 Here's what it's like: A man runs from a lion right into the jaws of a bear. 
A woman goes home after a hard day's work and is raped by a neighbor. 
20 At God's coming we face hard reality, not fantasy—
a black cloud with no silver lining. 
21 "I can't stand your religious meetings. 
I'm fed up with your conferences and conventions. 
22 I want nothing to do with your religion projects, your pretentious slogans and goals. I'm sick of your fund-raising schemes, your public relations and image making. 
23 I’ve had all I can take of your noisy ego-music. 
When was the last time you sang to me?
24 Do you know what I want?
I want justice—oceans of it’
I wand fairness—rivers of it.
That’s what I want. That’s all I want.

These words are so prescient, so powerful, they could have been spoken yesterday at a rally. And of course, they are intended to summon the spirit of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. who used this passage at his Lincoln Memorial Rally in August 1963. (http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/documents/1951-/martin-luther-kings-i-have-a-dream-speech-august-28-1963.php).  King’s resonant voice intoning “let justice roll down like water and righteousness leek an overflowing stream” cut through 14 year old me and sounded deep inside of me and stayed with me too this day. Barber is clearly going for that,

After some preliminaries, like me describing Amos as a working class, peasant prophet as opposed to in-house court prophet Isaiah, we get to the meat, the base of which is, if you don’t take care of them, the least of your people, you, country and church, will fall. By your own choices. 

Soon we are into serious discussion. Michael believes we’re too far past slavery for it to be  relevant. Throughout the course of the conversation, he compares the black community to the post holocaust Jewish community. And Asian immigrants.  An d other immigrants. The role of African “chieftains” in the slave trade. Slavery in Egypt. Rome. We try and patiently explain: in the difference  between traditional historic slavery and American chattel slavery. He answers with historic economic development and evolution. Although Marsha sees race as an issue for “eons,” Russ speaks of the historic development of race as a construct. We talk of the difference between white indentured servants and black slaves. I try to explain the US racial axis as black and white with Asians as honorary whites and Latinos on the black side In response to data re.health, education, incarceration, he ultimately responds with a comment about “choosing not take advantage of “resources and opportunities”and speaks of black achievements in music, sports, etc. And cultural issues. At time he has passionate feelings It’s a bit surprising because it’s out of character to anything he has said in any  of our previous sessions. Russ does a good job of keeping calm. Dion, whose significant other is African-American is silent. I even pull out my great grandfather's geography book from 1873, Swinton's Swinton's Complete Course with its run down of all the races with Africans mainly "savage" except of course for those who had been brought here, Christianzed and civilized. The conversation is annoying, frustrating and maddening and ultimately essential. We will only veer get out of this by learning hw ethane the conversations. W can’t always sum month necessary annotated data and arguments. And ultimately not clear that would even help. But somehow, we’ve got to begin.

Thankfully I leave to go to my songwriter’s exchange. I took there challenge and worked al week on y own song about this crisis All afternoon. Ad when it comes to my turn, I cannot remember the tune and stumble over my words. Part anxiety and what else?….My colleagues are sympathetic. Even offer constructive criticism. The fact is, I sucked. So many other songs through the night seriously wrestling with issues raised by Black Lives Matter. When the session is done, I go back to my guitar. Find  the tune again. Play it over an over again.  I’ve got work to do. Sigh. Next week…..

No comments:

Post a Comment