Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Living in Coronavirusworld 87: Juneteenth, Joy is Coming




6/19
















Juneteenth

The chair of our Central America work group calls. It appears there may be a parliamentary end run to derail our work at the Presbyterian General Assembly. I agree check out the “comment” and proposed “amendments.” Then devote thought and conversation to a strategy.  Not time I wanted to spend.

At noon, the gathering of commissioners reconvenes and we go through the results of our writing team.  It's a larger group from all around the country. By the time we’re done, it's not a bad piece  of work.  A bit of a camel, but a woke one. We have massaged the language considerably. ‘Redirection of funds” replaces “defund the police.” An older white woman who identifies herself as “the most conservative person you’re going to run into here” says, "I can go with this, and if I can, anyone can.” We have a young man from Southern New England ready to make the motion and many ready to support it. And I feel happy. Many people participate and had their words added. From within the group, leadership arose. I won’t have to make the motion or perhaps even speak. I feel good about organizing well done.  And I am thankful for the work of the Peace Fellowship director who gathered the group and showed her own organizing skills in setting up an open process to produce a result.  Despite the “virtual” nature, I feel like I am in a General Assembly.

Also many memories of meetings in hotels and bars and strategy discussions and writing teams and pmts and plans over 40 years . One of those things I have learned to do, for what it’s worth.

I decide to take a walk…..

Joy is coming
Black trans matter
Marching up Fredrick Douglass
Juneteenth Parade
And outside, to my surprise as I near Fredrick Douglass, the sound of a New Orleans style street band and chanting and cheers and…..hundreds of people marching and dancing up the street. And what fills my heart is not only are the signs “Black Lives Matter,”  but also “Joy is coming…” yes …"joy is coming..” In spite of anxiety, anguish and anger….Joy is coming. And there is a diverse community marching ….”Black trans matter…,””Black women matter…”  The march dances  and flows like a second line up the street.

Morningside Park
Morningside Park is filled with tents and music and barbecue and dancing…In my years here, I’ve never seen such a Juneteenth celebration like this. I knew it first in Tulsa. It commemorates the day when the Emancipation Proclamation finally reached the Red River Oklahoma/ Texas territory. It was primarily a regional event until the diaspora brought it to northern cities.  And now Black Lives Matter, the 99th anniversary of the Tulsa race massacre and a completely clueless (at best) President has turned it into a true national celebration, And in the face of pandemic, out of control police violence  and a provocateur President, the people respond with joy. Of all spiritual attributes, perhaps the most radical…..

The (was supposed to be) Baltimore  Assembly convenes on ZOOM. With opening Native American recognition and videos about where we were going to be. The opening night was mainly establishing the rules of engagement, so to speak. Figuring out how it all works. Apart from some sparring around the status  of San Francisco Seminary and whether it should still have representation or not. Things drag on. My non-voting friends are enjoying drinks, but I’m waiting until after business. I learn that a virtual GA can be every bit as deadly as a live one. I remember the Portland Assembly with a “legal dispensary” right across the street and the  lure of “edibles” to get through the long nights.  Things drag on so long, 4 hours worth, that the scheduled moderatorial election is put off until tomorrow night, a previously unscheduled night. 

I wish were in Baltimore.  A ballgame at Camden, Crabs at O'Brycki’s. Late night hotel strategy sessions and hotel bar conversations. But I’m home. And General Assembly has begun.

Fireworks outside. Again.

YES

No comments:

Post a Comment