Pages

Monday, June 15, 2020

Living in cornavirusworld 83: It almost feels normal




6/14

Riverside Park late afternoon



 West Park had sits first Sunday service for awhile.  A new guest preacher. Friends from the Center and Presbytery have come.  The preacher  skillfully works in videos of Presbyterian mission workers  and peace staff and others singing in a virtual chorus. And later another video with a pianist and a guitarist, “Here I am Lord.” He preached on Matthew 9:38,”… the harvest is plentiful but the workers are  few…”. and weaves it into a prophetic call for the present moment. Among other work, he has been an organizer of our denomination’s homeless network. This group of people, for so long my call, have kept alive and have kept going. Sometimes against all odds. I hope that something can come from this.

My family comes together again  from Berlin to here. In Berlin, rehearsals are underway for end of the year concerts. Here, we’re still trying to figure it out.  There thousands join us in protest. Solidarity and.....? Much of our New York conversation has to do with the impact of Black Lives Matter on workplaces. This is complicated, uncomfortable and just plain hard. But that is where we are. This is where it begins. With people in troublesome conversations with  each other. 





                                     with Robert Brashear, Victoire Oberkampf and Liana Gabel



Time to get ready for my showcase.  I’ve been fighting a  down all weekend. I welcome Victoire from Paris. And then Liana from upstate. I see her son, Marius, her “pumpkin kid’, and husband Henri. We do sound checks and it's  time to begin.   They each do their own special music. Many of my friends meeting them for the first time. Even though I have rich performance history  together, even singing acapella while Liana tap danced, we’ve only been all three together once. For recording the RL tribute album. So I make sure to include the title track, “Stay Awhile with Me,” where you can hear all three of us in the chorus.( We conclude with with my “Listen” with the  same ZOOMlag echo harmonies we tried out before, more fun to try than hear, I’m sure. After the show’s over,  people who haven’t seen each other in a while hang out and chat with one another. It felt very, very good. I am away happy that, YES, I can do this.  All the tech, smooth as silk. Later I’m blown away to see that over 500 people have joined us at one point or  another. 

Concert: https://www.facebook.com/robert.l.brashear/videos/10158171846353361/




Exhausted but I go to the Riverside Park overlook cafe for a bottle of Pino Grigio and guacamole and chips.  We watch children below on the high rings. I’m amazed at the arm strength how they do that without twisting their arm sockets out. People hanging out talking. Late afternoon sun hanging mid-sky over the Hudson, radiating quiet warmth. It almost feels normal. 
Late afternoon, cargo ship waiting...

Watched the finale of HBO’s “This much I know to be true..” with Mark Ruffalo in a tour de force performance as twin brothers. Thankfully the finale redeems the previous six episodes almost relentless darkness of spirit, offers at least a glimmer of hope. And all thankfully, much  like HBO’s version of Philip Roth’s the Plot Against America, they avoid the slam dunk happy ending and leave it open…which I much prefer. This has a lot to do with immigrants and prejudice and families and mental illness and choice…and love.  Here is the original  book  final quote:

 “I am not a smart man, particularly, but one day, at long last, I stumbled from the dark woods of my own, and my family's, and my country's past, holding in my hands these truths: that love grows from the rich loam of forgiveness; that mongrels make good dogs; that the evidence of God exists in the roundness of things. This much, at least, I've figured out. I know this much is true.


No comments:

Post a Comment