Pages

Friday, June 19, 2020

Living in cornavirusoword 86: Nobody would have greenlighted




6/18



the beauty around us







Hallelujah! After three months, my Liliana, who does house cleaning for me, is finally able  to come. Finally feels safe enough to come. She started out last week and turned back. My housemate and I have tried, but…..When she arrives, our first conversation is about her family. Her husband was hospitalized with the virus. And survived.  Her daughter is still in Guatemala where she was told not to  return to work as the virus spikes. Weekend curfews are in place.  Suspicions  (and with very good reason) are high against anyone returning from the US.

The day begins with a meeting on Skype(!) to plan for my Saturday conversation  with a national gathering of  medical professionals in a Covid -19 “update.” (It’s been years since I’ve used Skype. Yesterday’s ZOOM?) I’ll be appearing from the “spiritual” perspective. I’ll asked to focus on “so what do we do," as relates to both patients and self -care for the  professionals. This could be a good experience. This far in, health care workers on the front line have to be feeling the wear and tear. 

At noon, I meet with a circle of Presbyterian  commissioners from around the country who want to put teeth into actions of this General Assembly related to Black Lives Matter. Which originally was not even going to come up until my PHEWA community (among others) began to speak out.The church wanted to restrict the actions to “core and critical,” i.e. institutional maintenance issues. (For a full discussion of this issue see: https://pres-outlook.org/2020/06/how-will-the-2020-general-assembly-respond-to-concerns-of-the-time/?fbclid=IwAR0Mk8MGmTUCfQeZYvuAKnKcE5UfKWr9THfutJoKW0wiNGolJYraWHUoubs )  

We’ve reached a critical moment in the US. What we do right now will be definitive for our country. Especially regarding Black  Lives, there is no more  critical issue before us. It has always been our identity to exegete the times and speak prophetically to our church and greater society. What we do now is therefore definitive for us as  a church as well. 

As our meeting begins, I hear for the third time in a week  the chants “Black lives matter” as marchers pass down the street outside my window. 

Here we are …a gathering of people elected to represent their church for all across the country. I’m  impressed by the passion,.even anger. After an hour or so of conversation, I share that  I have a statement that I have prepared. (With help from my PHEWA friends.)  I am asked to chair a “writing team” to meet after tonight.

emergency
the egret's daily visot
As I walk, even as the curve flattens  and things open up step by step , the daily presence  of emergency vehicles remains. For just a few minutes, I walk. And am thankful for the beauty around me. 

Even cars
I’m dealing with a loooong proposed amendment that presses in on the anger side.  Uses words like “brutality” and torture related to the murder for George Floyd.  It says how I feel. I’m torn as to how to put it all together. Eve though ,my whole goal is to push the church, I feel like I’m being pushed. When we actually get together, it works out. We take the submitted long angry preamble and put into back up, sharpen up the recommendations. To actually say what we feel. It takes hours. I feel exhausted but good.

A woman is talking to a stuffed bear. Calling him Mr. Chuckles. Mr. Chuckles, she says, if someone would have tried to pitch this as a movie, nobody would have green lighted it..."

Outside, the nightly fireworks go off again.






No comments:

Post a Comment