Pages

Monday, September 21, 2020

Living in coronavirusworld 171: We are getting by

 

9/20


9th Avenue Sunday night





It was supposed to be my first visit to a New York City church since the virus took over.  It was to be a memorial service for a stalwart couple who had kept the church going. Who died one week apart of Covid19. When I started out, I discovered the A train had derailed so I had to get an Uber all the way out to Ozone Park. Looking forward to being with this congregation of Indians from Trinidad and the West Indies. While waiting for the church to open, I find a Polish deli left over from the days when this section was filled with immigrants from Poland. As the church remains locked, I discover I have gotten the day wrong, It was yesterday, My reopening experience will have  to wait.


Russ leads the worship service for West Park focusing on Matthew 18: 21-35. He includes Malvina Reynolds classic “It isn’t nice” and a clip  from Lewis CK about fairness. 

                                                Malvina Reynolds "It isn't nice"
(“The only reason you ever look into the otther person’s pot is to make sure they’ve  got enough…”), well and me, playing Dylan’s “The Times They are a Changin’” He tries to move the conversation beyond one of fairness towards God’s reversal of status, but it's hard. People are interested in the  transformation that has to take place to get there. No matter what time you start to work, everybody’s got to have a living wage. That’s how it is in God’s kingdom. Not easy to get there.


We celebrate Rosh Ha Shana with my son in Brooklyn.  With raisin bread challah French toast from the round loaf I bought at the farmers’ market and bacon. Joined by our son in Berlin where life has all but returned to normal.


Turns out to be my best night yet at Bar 9. All it tales is one person listening to lift me up. Then more are. Somebody’s shooting a video. People ask where to get my music. Name other songs they wanted to hear. The air feels like September. Like fall. I wonder how many more nights we can do this. We have to enjoy every one.  As I walk up the street, I see people together, drinking, singing. “…Tiny dancer…” along with the singer at the piano. Lights sparkle and dance on 9th Avenue. We are getting by.




No comments:

Post a Comment