Pages

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Living in coronavirusworld 113: Shabbat Shalom



7/16



Shabbat Shalom





window at the Gate
Spend most of the day organizing my August 6th ZOOM concert commemorating the 25th anniversary of Jerry Garcia’s death. And continued work on the Presbyterian Church’s response to historic and continued white privilege. I make my way to visit my friend Paul at his pub, the St.James Gate, doing rehab work to get the place ready for reopening, when that comes, and scrambling to find a way to serve up to 30 people outdoors, constricted by a bus stop and adjacent businesses. Part of what he’s got to  do is return all the kegs of Guiness that he bought for a St. Patrick’s night that never happened. Staying alive has been a real challenge for the bar and restaurant businesses. And a lot depends on the randomness of where you are on a block. I share an “unofficial” Jameson’s as I “consult” with RL in his permanent barstool. 

Mr. Met welcomes you
I decide to walk the 2.5 miles home, checking out the various stages of opening. And the appearance of Mr. Met at the Red Lion Tavern. 

Tonight I get to visit the Oregon Shakespeare Festival from Ashland, Oregon, a festival I always wanted to visit. Tonight I see their production of “Midsummer Night’s Dream.”  I’m impressed by their commitment to inclusion. I continue my coronavirusworld culture tour. 

7/17

Another day of working and walking.  My friend Jane LeCroy drops her new album, Add Vice, with her band the Icebergs, reminding me of Patty Smith, Velvet Underground, Cowboy Junkies and more…(https://album.link/qw0hccffw3450).   

The mayor of Portland has told the President to get his troops out of Portland. Reports of plainclothes soldiers dragging people away blocks distant from demonstrations. There’s a strong sense that the President is trying to provoke a confrontation he can boldly put down and look like a hero. Portland wants no part of this agenda.

Sidewalk art reminds me it's Friday night. My friend Rabbi Steve will be singing songs to sustain people then lead his Shabbat service. We all need that sense of shabbat, 24 hours of peace, if only once a week. Shabbat Shalom chaverim.

I host the West Park ope mic, gathering  the community once more from Baltimore to New York City to Chicago. We share our songs and our conversations, haven lived another week. I ix my own with a little Garcia and Hunter.Day to day, week to week. We will get by. We will survive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment