Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Living in coronavirusworld 36: We are all learning

4/28


Love


A beautiful sunny spring day….

 I go to check out the food program at Wadleigh High School, just across the street from me.  Originally designed to replace the school lunch program for this whose only melas came from school, Wadleigh is  providing breakfast and lunch for any on the neighborhood who need. 
Free meals

A long talk with my friend and colleague Jane Galloway who shared the West Park building and ministry with me through some of the most challenging times.  She is the author of The Gateways, The Wisdom of 12 Step Spirituality: Dynamic Practices that Work. (https://www.janegalloway.com/blog/2016/12/5/the-gateways-the-wisdom-of-12-step-spirituality-audio ). Starting with the proven success of the 12 step approach to addiction, Dr. Galloway recognizes that AA can sometimes, despite its openness, feel too much like the evangelical Christian culture from which it was born.  She is able to bring her broad and inclusive spirituality, informed and accessible theological approach and years of practical ministerial experience to bear on developing personal pathways to spiritual growth.  Raised Presbyterian, ordained Assemblies of God, licensed United Churches of Christ and experienced in New Thought, she has literally been there. But for me, she’s mainly a friend. Someone to explore issues of forgiveness and reconciliation with. Someone who’s been there.

I meet with musical colleagues on ZOOM to talk about my “Lockdown Showcase” scheduled for Thursday night.
My first ZOOM show
Although we frequently perform as a band, tomorrow night we’ll need to be together alone. We will need it keep it simple.  I’ve been struggling with internet issues, my audio breaking up. Endless buffering. Sometimes service drops. I call Spectrum  and somehow manage to get through and they can actually send someone. One thing I could not do without in this pandemic is internet service at home. I can’t do a show under these circumstances. A tech support worker comes to my house.  And it seems to work. We’ll see.

I walk in the Park. Enjoy the sun. The flowers.
in the park
Sit and talk with my mom.  Mainly about my (great)  Uncle John Laird,  who for over 50 years served as Pastor of the Frankford Presbyterian Church in what was one suburban but is now urban Philadelphia. My mom wonders if the church is still open. I d some research and find amazingly, thanks to an endowment started by my Uncle John, the church still open. And engaged in a neighborhood to him on his 50th anniversary now sits in my dining room. 

Presbytery General Cabinet is working on how to facilitate it’s first all virtual meeting. This will be a first.  We all are learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment