Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Living in coronavirusworld 63: Not just numbers. Not just names. People.

5/24




Not just  numbers. Not just names. People.



Today is Eid, the celebration of the end of Ramadan.  Most of the Yemeni owned neighborhood delis are closed. The one day a year they close. Last week, I think I found the original Yemeni deli on Columbus. Sign said tow brothers started it with stand 30 years ago. The one brother set out to expand the business. In any case, it's close to a  lock in West  Harlem. I will have to go further for my Sunday paper.


When I get the paper I see that the New York Times  front page is a full page list of names of those who have died from the covid19 virus, plus a word or two about who they were. Not just numbers. Not just names. People. Plus inside 4 more pages. All a part of the 100000 people who have died from this pandemic. More than any other country in the world.  And according to Columbia University, at least 40000 of those people did not need to die. Victims of poor planning, mismanagement and poor execution. And meanwhile our President truly believes he has done great job and that his own wishes somehow become fact.  It’s hard not to be overwhelmed by rage.

Our family gathers for its weekly international ZOOM visit. Things are moving along in Germany. My son is back in his school building again, preparing his students for an end of the year concert. My grandchildren are back in kita. My grandson longs for a pet, even a ladybug. The annual Ascension day  (Himmelfahrt) and fathers’ day (Vatertag) holidays have come  and gone, Pentecost (Pfingsten) will be next week. Retail shops reopening. Bars and restaurants too. Hot spots remain where there are concentrations of vulnerable workers in high risk industries. Germany has adequate testing to determine in days the results of reopening compared to weeks in the US where only the death rate is an accurate measure. Based on research and tracking of contacts, it appears that the virus was brought to Germany by return ski vacationers and spring break style revelry. And mass attendance events spread the virus. (And apparently a Baptist choir rehearsal.) The national weekly infection rate is  just slightly higher than the daily New York State death rate. In a controlled environment, it appears that as long as mass events are avoided, people can return to some semblance of normality. The Bundesliga professional soccer season is back, with empty stadiums.   I grieve the chaos and hubris of my own country and how our recovery will be delayed by ill timed random reopenings and people posturing over emotional demands for “freedom,” people who I assume obey traffic signals, wear seat belts and use condoms.  But then again, maybe not.

It’s still cool but the sun is out. The egret is back.

As always, my walk ends with flashing lights and a siren.
and as always
the egret is back
changing flowers
Flowers are changing.
in the park

I enjoy the show of Kat Edmundson. (http://katedmonson.com/) She’s got an old school American songbook feel and calls her style vintage pop. I met her at a coffeehouse performance one time. She said she liked my music. I took that as a compliment.

CC Eve’s show has technical difficulties tonight. So that’s it. Tomorrow is Memorial Day.








No comments:

Post a Comment