Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

And today it's Howard Thurman

Howard Thurman

10/27
I need to be on my way to Stony Point for a retreat. But I stop in to see Danielle, just to check.Try to work out with Marc what level of sound equipment is appropriate ffor Sanctuary.  Martin is here again. Today, it’s Howard Thurman. We seem to be travellig through the Civil Fights era. Martin is finding those who were mentors to Dr. King. Thurman, prototype of the American mystic activist. Another FOR pioneer. And a strong believer in community, what is most sacred to me. 
...community cannot feed for long on itself; it can only flourish where always the boundaries are giving way to the coming of others from beyond them -- unknown and undiscovered brothers.... From The Search For Common Ground; An Inquiry Into The Basis Of Man's Experience Of Community, page 104. The model of the holistic raidcal we need today. Who understands the intersection of spirit and revolution at the deepest level. 
We talk more about Thurman. Then I tell Martin I’ve got to get up to Stony Point to meet for the Intefaith Assembly Board retreat. Which means I’ve got to tell him both about the Assembly ... only place in the city to work for both the transformation  of the individual and society...and Stony Point. When I talk about  Stony Point, their interfaith model of arts and culture,social justice activism and spirtuality with living communities of Muslims, Jews and Christians really excites him. Before we’re donem he’s taking about doing a set of concerts, one at West-Park, the other in Stony Point. Perfect, I say, just what we’re here for...
I'm sorry he's leaving. I can't wait to see who or what tomorrow might have brought. 
Now to Stony Point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment