Pages

Friday, March 12, 2021

Living in coronavirusworld255: Remembering the last days of normal





3/11





The last night



As we reach the one year anniversary of our national lockdown, I feel the need to remember the last week of normal, the last week BC (before corona) and the last week of life the way it was. 


Spring training

Saturday, March 7th.  I leave LeCom Park in Bradenton with the Pirates leading the Yankees  3-1. By the time I reach the Tampa Airport, the Bucs have collapsed and the Yankees win 7-4. Kind of set the tone for the season that would come so many months later. But as for now, just my last spring training game. Little did I know that would be my last big league game for nearly a year.


Sunday, Match 8th. Our family “culture club” takes us to St.Ann’s Warehouse where we see Ruth Negga’s riveting performance as Hamlet. There are rumblings, about the virus but nothing certain. Our last time together as a family for theatre or any other cultural event.


Monday, March 9th. I go see my friend Kristina in her appearance in AMIOS theatre’s “Shotztrek: the next generation” …short humorous plays built around StarTrek. Hers is ‘You can’t see what you can’t see.” At the Kraine Theatre in the East Village. Afterwards, we go to a pub across the street and hang out with her cast members. Who knew that would be the last time?


Pens and Devils

Tuesday, March 10th. I take the train to Newark to see my hometown Penguins play the Devils in hockey. The Pens come away with a decisive 5-2 victory. Maybe I’ll see them play the Rangers in the Garden next week?


I finish the night at the Shelelagh in Astoria to catch my friend Paul Anthony and the Marauders play live and take the long bus and train ride home.


Wednesday, March 11th. Our Underground theological conversation group meets at our regular meeting  place, the world famous Tom’s Diner from the Seinfeld show.


Thursday, March 12th, the fateful day. NBA player Rudy Gorbert, who just recently touched all the reporters mics to mock Covid, tests positive for the virus. And one by one the dominoes begin to fall.. the NBA shut down. Then the NHL.  The Ivy League had already canceled its tournament giving regular season champ Yale an automatic entry into the NCAA tourney. My brother had told me much about a great Dayton ballplayer with unbelievable dunks named Obi Toppin, so I had planned to see them play in the Atlantic 10 tournament in Brooklyn on Friday. Canceled. The whole March Madness canceled. Baseball’s spring training shut down. Theatre’s closed. Maybe I can catch a museum exhibit instead? All closed. All the doors were swinging shut.


Friday, March 13th.  After much debate, we decide to go ahead with Open Mic. I get to the church, Martin is leaving his Noche Flamenca dance studio angry that we’re going ahead. In the chapel, Dion has made all the snacks individually wrapped. No bowls of chips or popcorn or pretzels to dig into and share. It’s a good night.  And the gang heads down to the Gate for after show drinks. And the night goes on. By next Friday, the church building will be locked down. 


The "Real Radio Show" cast

Saturday, March 14th.  I have a gig with the radio icon Frankie Dee’s “Real Radio  Show” at the Aloft hotel at La Guardia Airport.  It’s still on somehow. So it’s a long train and bus ride. Things are quiet at the Aloft. None of the other performers I know are there. The other performers there are all under 30. I’m wondering why I’m there. I discover I’m colorful. Frankie Dee in his interview with me is fascinated that I’m a former minister. Turns out the kids think I’m cool and like my music. Old guy that I am.  There’s a group of young Vietnamese. And a Pakistani guitar player, Amish Darr. And a young red-haired  Irish singer Rosie Timmons. After our individual sets, we finish with Steve Nicks’ Landslide, me singing harmony with Rosie. A fun show with no audience. But the radio. The old pro Frankie’s first show featuring Indie performers, a move from his standard metal and hair bands. He praises us for our bravery and promises us special shows in April as a reward and we all figure that will happen. Harmony will disappear from my life for many months.


Closed for St.Patrick's

Everything will shut down March 17.  No St.Patrick’s Day this year. The decorations for St. Patricks' celebrations that never happened would remain for months.  Our Underground debate as to whether we should meet next week at Tom’s is now moot.  All that’s left now is Monday night. I head to the Gate, but it’s already closed. I check MacAleer’s, the old NYPD blue police bar, just in case. Find some friends there. We share a St.Patrick’s Jameson and Guiness and that’s it. By morning the world as we knew it was gone. Coronavirus world had begun. We figured it wouldn’t be long. Hell, the president said he wanted full churches on Easter. 


It’s been a year. The vaccines are happening. Day by day, door by door, slowly reopening. Some doors will never reopen. What we will be remains to be seen. It’s been a year. A year of living in Coronavirusworld. 


No comments:

Post a Comment