Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Pentecost 2013



5/19

Bob, Kimberley and Lindsay


Pentecost. Memories of last night linger. Kimberley arrives with her friend Lindsay. Informs me that her friend AJ won’t be able to make  it and I’ll have to take his part.  Scrambling around to clean up, prepare for the service knowing my  regular staff won’t be there. Then I bring Kimberley and Lindsay in to explain that due to last night’s implosion, I don’t know what to expect. I’m already getting the too exhausted text messages. It’s almost 11, I say, and right now I’ve got two sleeping people in the sanctuary. One of whom is homeless. We hear the door swing open. There’s someone else says, Kimberley. No that’s the homeless woman leaving, I say.

So we rehearse. And one by one the faithful regulars appear. Kimberley has constructed a dramatic liturgy of the Tower of Babel and Pentecost, including passages from CS Lewis and Mary Daly. And in the middle, a gospel song about a river that won’t run dry and I can’t help but throw in the bass with their close two part harmony. 

We gather around the table for food after and Marc brings out his George Harrison guitar and I play I’ll fly away with Kimberley and Lindsay joining in. And I enjoy the chance to sing. 

A steady rain is falling. We’re not going to table today. The rain has caused a jack o’ lantern effect with the booths down Amsterdam, more gaps than teeth.

I’m very thankful for all Kimberley has added this year and need to find a way to bring her back next fall. And musical ideas are filling my head. I share Rest Awhile with them before they leave. Sad to see Kimberley go. 

Jamie and I head to brunch and to catch up.

No softball today, either. 

I come back for Sanctuary’s Hear it Out! theatre reading, the dream of Pernell to feature new plays from the African-American community. Today’s is The Lord’s Resistance by Camille Darby, starring and directed by Tony awarded winner Tonya Pinkins. 
Tonya Pinkins

It may not be finished yet, but it is strong. The story of a Ugandan child soldier, after rehab, adopted by a professional African-Americn couple in Chicago, whose home ks a battleground if its own.  Glad that Tony has added her spirit to these walls. And wishing we could figure out more how to work together.  

Walk home in the still falling rain. Exhausted. Waiting for that wild spirit to blow through. Pentecost.


No comments:

Post a Comment