Pages

Friday, January 14, 2022

Because Steelers...

1/12


Here we go Steelers....



I had something all planned out for my Wednesday morning group but Sunday changed all that.  Sunday, January 9th was one of the most engaging, entertaining, tension filled and ultimately satisfying days I have ever had in over six decades following sports.  The ultimate result left me with no choice but to celebrate the Steelers.


An NBA schedule change meant I would be  at the Barclays Center with my boys watching the Nets eke out an overtime victory against the Spurs while the Steelers game began.


Things did not  look promising. My hometown team had a strange season of beating heavily favored teams and losing other games in embarrassing, even humiliating fashion. The Steelers Monday Night Football decisive victory over the Browns was a good final Heinz Field farewell for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. And guaranteed at least a non-losing  record.  


However, in order for the Steelers to make the playoffs, three things needed to happen. First, the Steelers needs to defeat favored arch-rival Baltimore.  Then the lowly dysfunctional Jacksonville Jaguars needed to upset the heavily favored Indianapolis Colts. Then the final game of the season between Raiders and Chargers would have to end up not being  tied.


I made it home in  time to see the final minutes as the Steelers somehow managed to  kick a field goal and defeat the Ravens in overtime.  That guaranteed that Big Ben would retire with never have had a losing season in 18 years.  And coach Mike Tomlin no losing seasons in his first fifteen years as coach, the most successful African-American coach in NFL history,  I reminded my friends that Steeler owner Dan Rooney was responsible for the "Rooney Rule” by which any team interviewing for a new head coach must include Black and/or other  minority candidates. It’s a good legacy.


But low and behold, the Jaguars handily defeated the Colts!  Only one piece left! And in over 270 games this season only one ended in a tie…involving, of course the Steelers.  This game will involve the Chargers, who have no business in Los Angeles, and the Las Vegas Raiders who should never be anywhere other than Oakland…


So with breathless anticipation we watched the final game of the season which unbelievably ended in regulation with a tie. As overtime wound down, the announcers pointed out that if the Raiders just took a knee, both teams would  move forward and the Steelers would be out. So with two seconds left the Chargers inexplicably call a time out and the Raiders kick a field goal and win as the clock passed midnight.  Thank you Raiders!  

here we go...


Across the country Steeler fans breathe a collective sigh of relief. In the final moments my brother  in Ohio texted me “this is psycho sick…” And via What’s App, my son in Berlin told me he had set his alarm to get up at 5:45 am just to make sure the game was not tied only to find out it was and so watch until the breathtaking end. Of course ending eleven hours of anxiety. 


Never have I ever, as they say… No matter what happens next week, this was worth it…..


So I wear my Steelers hat. ( I have five and wear one until there’s a loss then switch..this is my second time through the sequence). And my 1954 repro retro practice jersey with faded graphics. And my coffee mug to complete the day. 




Bring on the Chiefs!  Being reminded once again that anything can happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment