Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2020

Living in cornavirusworld 225: Connections. Relationships. Converations.

 12/8


Deep fall in Central Park



Participate in my friend Dre’s “Twenty Human Questions” project. He’s ultimately trying to find places where real conversation might take place. Some examples are: Three most important issues? Climate change and caring  for creation. Income inequality. Systemic racism. We also talk about the necessity of respecting each person’s dignity. And that failure  to do so is often at the root of violence. I wondered what kind of answers he might get at a bar in Staten Island. Dre has picked up one of the basic building blocks of organizing,  namely intentional conversation. 


Central Park foliage
schoolyard sculpture
tiny plastic houses

Take a walk through Central Park. Notice the deep fall look to the foliage. On 111th I notice for the first time a strange set of sculptures in the school yard. Small plastic houses are starting to appear in front of restaurant around the neighborhood. Like each table will have its own tiny house. 


I join my friend Russ in a ZOOM conversation called “Drinking Religiously.” It’s normally held at the 4 Saints Brewery in Asheboro, North Carolina. Started  and hosted by the duo who do the podcast entitled “A Jew and a Christian walk into a Bar….Mitzvah.” A fascinating show which explores theology and detailed reviews of cigars. I met them at the annual Wild Goose Festival in Hot Springs, North Carolina in the Smokies.  Said to be a combination of Burning Man and church camp. Thanks to ZOOM their virtual table can extend from Carolina all the way to California. In light of new Covid spikes, we’re talking a lot about breath. And God breathing into our lives. And how we can’t take breath for granted. One of the simplest things I’ve begun to become very aware of as I deal with late onset asthma. Every breath we take has the presence of the Holy Spirit. For which we must be thankful. (https://charlesandchris.net/)


I’m back at Moe Geffner’s “Inspired Word” virtual open mic after my failure last week. I had to come back and try again. I start with “You’ve got to  hide your love away,” sounds a little like my take on Dylan doing Lennon doing Dylan. In recognition of the 40th anniversary of John Lennon’s assassination. One of the two or three artists who most affected my life. (

                                                                       "....Hide Your Love Away..."
 
then follow with my own song that I blanked on last week. And I do it. Redemption. 


                                                                        " Get Over You" 


12/9


Day starts off bad as I oversleep and miss the weekly Undergound ZOOM. And nothing goes well the rest of the day. Including lost items and falling into a health insurance rabbit hole. At some point I just have to accept it as one of those days when you just fall out of sync with the cosmos. And I realize that the cumulative effect of three deaths in three weeks is getting to me. And the depression, the sense of hopelessness takes over. So much harder to keep at bay in this never ending coronaviruswolrd. Thankfully I can accept this for myself and come back tomorrow.


Our Presbyterian Health Education and  Welfare Association continues its work of reconstructing itself. In the last month, we’ve seen three long time progressive groups go under. Part of this is generational….we who create these groups are getting older. Hell, we’re senior citizens. PHEWA is one of the few still standing and challenged by the need to pass the torch on. The fact that so may of us are on various front lines and deeply impacted by the virus keeps us going. And needed. W need to invite friends from those networks that have ended to feel welcome under our tent. Connections Relationships.Conversations.  That’s the bottomline. 


No comments:

Post a Comment